Concert performer of classic guitar
Born in Guadalajara, Mexico in 1973. Mauricio Díaz-Álvarez started studying guitar and music at the age of eight in Mexico. In his youth he moves to Spain where he pursued his degree at the Real Conservatorio de Música de Madrid graduating with honours under the instruction of renowned Spanish guitarist Gabriel Estarellas.
Mauricio Díaz is considered one of the most talented guitarists of his generation.
In recent years, he recorded three CDs: tribute to Marcel Proust (contemporary guitar 2009), and with the philharmonic orchestra of Quéretaro (Mexico), the concierto of Aranjuez de Joaquin Rodrigo (2010) and the conciertodelsur de M.M.Ponce( 2010 ).
In 2004, he participated as judge for the XVI Doña Infanta Cristina International Guitar Competition accompanied by renowned composers Anton García Abril and Tomás Marco.
He has been awarded important international prizes in prestigious festivals such as:
- 1st prize and Audience Award - Concours international de guitare classique de Trédrez- Locquémeau – France, 1995.
- 3rd prize, XVI International Competition of Classic Guitar of Granada– Spain, 2000.
- 2nd prize, XIV Infanta Doña Cristina International Guitar Competition, organised by the Jacinto e Inocencio Guerrero Foundation Madrid – Spain, 2000.
- 1st prize for best Spanish music interpretation and 2nd prize at the XV Infanta Doña Cristina International Guitar Competition organised by the Jacinto e Inocencio Guerrero Foundation Madrid – Spain, 2002.
international music festivals
With an established international experience, Mauricio Díaz- Álvarez has vastly performed in Europe in countries such as Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Switzerland, Italy, Portugal, and France and in the following festivals, among others:
- International music Festival of Moscu, on 2010
- II Symphonic Season of Jalisco,Mexico, on 2010
- II Symfonic Seaton of Quéretaro, Mexico, on 2009 and on 2010
- Celebrations of the Bicentenary of the Mexican Republic, in Paris Instituto of Mexico City, in Palermo and in Rome 2010,
- International music festival ofLisbon, on 2009,
- Parliament of Brittany, Rennes(France), on 2008,
- Music festival of Winterthur, Swiss, 2007,
- I Festival of the Azores, Portugal, on 2007
- VI Paris International Festival, 2006.
- IX Festival Cultural de Mayo de Guadalajara, Mexico 2006.
- II and II Ibero American Moroccan Guitar Festival, 2003 and 2004.
- I International Music Festival ofJordan, 2003.
- Rome Latin American Festival, Italy 2003.
- I Ibero American La Laguna Guitar Festival, Canary Islands, Spain 2002.
- II Sicily Music Festival, Italy 2001.
- VII Toledo International Music Festival, 2001,
- XV Andrés Segovia Festival, Madrid 2001,
- V internation guitar festival of Trédrez-Locquémeau, France 1999,
Mauricio has also furthered his career in music as a lecturer, delivering masterclasses in prestigious universities such as the music conservatory of Moscow Russia, the music conservatory of Dourdan (Paris France),Universidad de Guadalajara (UDG, Mexico), the Music Conservatory of Rabat (Morocco), several Spanish universities in the province of Castilla la Mancha, plus frequent lectures in Spanish and Latin American guitar history at the Instituto Cervantes in Lebanon, Egypt, and Jordan, among others.
Mauricio Díaz-Álvarez was appointed by the Cervantes Institute’s headquarters in Madrid, Artistic Director at the International Guitar Festivals in Rabat and the Canary Islands in 2004, followed by Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan the following year.